Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Las Vegas

Once you ignore the zombies in front of the slot machines, Las Vegas was all right. It seems that the desert there desiccates equally well moisture, personal coffers, and the minds of the gamblers. Staying in a hotel 10 mins walk from the playing site, I got a nice suntan through my clothes. That was a bonus.


 

Play Problems:

Lots of interesting hands were dealt.
This one is from the Spingold and it still tortures me:
ATx J7x AKQ9x AQ facing QJx AQ8x xx KJTx
after uncontested auction, 2nt-3-3-6nt 8 hits the table with the speed of light.

How do you proceed?

Next 3 are from the weekend Swiss

Dummy: KJ7x AQJ 9 AJ532

Declarer: 8x Txxx KJ87 K84


 

1

(1)

dbl 

1

1nt 

3

3nt 

All pass 


 

6 is lead to the A and you win the continuation with 8, lefty follows with the 5. Heart to the Q loses to the K and another H comes back. Righty pitches a spade on the 3rd heart. Over to you.

Dummy: J AKxx ATx AKTxx

Declarer: K98x QJxx Qxx Jx    

Playing against precision:

(1)

Dbl 

3

6

All Pass

A is lead. Next comes 2nd
to the Q and K.

Bidding Problems:

Red vs. white, xxx KQJxx x A9xx

2

(3)

3

3nt 

4

4

 


 

4 comments:

Becker said...

cool site nik--i'll take a couple of humble stabs here before going to sleep (note the excuse of being tired).
On the 6nt hand it seems like there are a lot of options in the play but most to me involve taking the spade finesse at some point. I guess my two main horses will be that or the 3-3 diamond break with a possible heart diamond squeeze in reserve. So I'll win the ace of clubs and cross to the king. then queen of spades, jack of spades. I assume that loses to the king and a club comes back (though a heart would be a diabolical return). I win that and the other top club pitching hearts and come back to the ace-king queen of diamonds. Assuming someone shows out i cash the ace of spades and try a heart to the queen, still ok if the king is onside and the long diamond and 4 hearts are in the same hand. If west returned a heart after winning the king of spades, I don't think I would have the stones to run it, so I'd just play for 3-3 diamonds.

In the bidding problem, I feel like 4d should be a cue in support of clubs, so 4h showing my solidity there feels ok. If partner has the aces of spades and hearts I think we have a likely grand slam. partner could have-
Axxx Ax AKxx KQJx

Memphis MOJO said...

Congratulations on your win in Boston! Please share a few of the deals with us when you return and have time,

K said...

I say AQ of clubs then heart to the queen. I don't finesse the spade on the way back.

Instead, cash clubs and run diamonds (which must not break otherwise you wouldn't post the problem).

All in all, it makes if:
- a red suit splits 3-3
- the heart king is onside
- the king of spades and long
diamond are in different hands.

Do tell us what was rihght.

Nik said...

the 6nt hand: You have to test diamonds first. Jxxx on your right. You give up a D and a club comes back. Now the spade finesse is enough to make but i had reasons to believe it wasn't. What's the other option?